Thursday, December 31, 2009

Daily Inspiration 12-31-09

Jim Rohn Week

To honor the passing of Jim Rohn on December 5th, 2009, I will be sharing some of my favorite quotes throughout the week. Jim Rohn was a powerful influence in my thinking beginning with my introduction to his teaching in early 1981. See more about Jim Rohn at www.jimrohn.com.

-------------------

"The philosophy of the rich versus the poor is this:
The rich invest their money and spend what's left;
the poor spend their money and invest what's left."

"To become financially independent you must
turn part of your income into capital;
turn capital into enterprise;
turn enterprise into profit;
turn profit into investment;
and turn investment into financial independence."

"I used to say, "Things cost too much."
Then my teacher straightened me out on that by saying,
"The problem isn't that things cost too much.
The problem is that you can't afford it."
That's when I finally understood
that the problem wasn't it--the problem was me!

-- Jim Rohn (1930-2009)

How many times I have heard excellent advice about money and finances and have decided to do as I had done so many times before. Somehow, I would think that it would all work out and that I could get to the point where I could start properly and make a go of it when I had enough to start or the perfect right time. That day never came. No surprise to most of you probably, but many people I know were in the same poor thinking that I had accepted.

Jim Rohn suggested that the first 30% of your income should be allocated like this: 10% for investment, 10% to give away, and 10% for savings, then the rest could go to take care of living expenses and desires. I used to think that the way to do that was to start over and do it right from that point. A total fantasy. There is only one way: to start from where I am now and do it. If I wait for things to change, I will be waiting all my life.

Jim's ideas about money and investments is backed up thoroughly by hundreds of successful people. I've read many of them and have seen similar concepts. Most of them include 10% as a give away, whether it is tithing to a church, or giving to a favorite charity, or giving it directly to people in need. The grand idea is gratitude. It is a way of expressing abundance and gratitude at the same time. In effect, we are saying that we have plenty to give this away.

Today is the last day of 2009 and many will be writing out resolutions for the new year like losing weight, getting control of finances, getting a better position, etc. It's a great time to make a change we think. Out with the old and in with the new. Wipe the slate clean and start again. The beginning of a new year sounds so like a wonderful place to start fresh. You know what? Today is Thursday and tomorrow is Friday. That's it. Just another day. . . unless. . . we really are serious and follow through. Don't I know this! How many times have I thought a day or a time frame would make a difference. There is only now.

Whether it is Jim Rohn's ideas or another wise person, we can take that wonderful advice and make the change anytime we decide. Maybe it is me. Maybe it is now.


There Is Only Now!

Spread Some Joy Today--Feel as if you've made the major change you've wanted to make for so long. Feel as if it has been in place and the change has been made. Other people will see your new confidence. It is unmistakable!

No comments:

Post a Comment