Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Daily Inspiration 12-22-09

Jim Rohn Week

To honor the passing of Jim Rohn on December 5th, 2009, I will be sharing some of my favorite quotes throughout the week. Jim Rohn was a powerful influence in my thinking beginning with my introduction to his teaching in early 1981. See more about Jim Rohn at www.jimrohn.com.

-------------------

"The greatest gift you can give to somebody is your own personal development. I used to say, "If you will take care of me, I will take care of you." Now I say, "I will take care of me for you, if you will take care of you for me."

"Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for.
Happiness is something you design."

"Learn to be happy with what you have
while you pursue all that you want."

-- Jim Rohn (1930-2009)

These three quotes are all so much a part of my life now and at one time I thought very differently. Personal development is so critical in my life that I find it hard to imagine not studying it well and thoroughly. It is logical: the more I am, the more I have to share. It's also personal responsibility in making the decision and moving down that path. It's also deductive reasoning: I can't change anyone except myself. Let me tell you that this was the hardest lesson I have ever learned and it took me a very long time to really accept it fully. Not that it was hard, but my resistance was like granite!

Then I've found that happiness is not something that is really attached to anything. It is not an exterior event, but an internal design. If it were accidental, it would be a really tough world. Fortunately, it is as easy as choosing it moment by moment and any moment will do just fine. Then, expand it by designing more ways to enjoy it.

Learning to be happy with what I have in pursuit of what I want has been a tough one to accept as well. The reason it was tough was because I used to always focus on what was wrong and how to change it; what was missing and try to find it, and last a general association that more things equals more success, which equals more comfort, which equals more happiness.

What is interesting now is that I am in the pursuit of more than I have ever even dreamed of before, but the big difference is that I am completely happy with what I have now, where I am now and who I am now. The pursuit is not a need, but a desire. There is a world of difference.

Of all the things I have learned from Jim Rohn, it can be summed up here from a couple more of Jim's quotes:

"Success is not to be pursued; it is to be attracted by the person we become."

"We can have more than we've got because we can become more than we are."


I Can Become More . . . And I Am!

Spread Some Joy Today--If you get a chance, get a copy of Jim Rohn's Challenge To Succeed tape sets. You can get it new on Amazon or many other places including www.jimrohn.com. It is an awesome teaching and among his most popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment