Friday, December 11, 2009

Daily Inspiration 12-11-09

"If you had a friend who talked to you like you sometimes talk to yourself, would you continue to hang around with that person?"

-- Rob Bremer

Isn't this a great question!

I've always wondered where that negative talk comes from. Maybe you have experienced this as well. I can't find something and the first thoughts in my head are that someone moved it, took it, discarded it, or otherwise made it become missing. I search my memory for the culprits. Then, I remember, I put it in the drawer so I could find it. It reminds me of the "I didn't do it" syndrome from childhood and I'm still looking for someone to pin it on.

Many times I've thought of what instantly was a great idea in my mind, only to have the conversation in my head questioning my ability, my finances, my intelligence, how others will perceive it, the risks and on and on tearing it apart shred by shred. Trouble is that it has operated automatically this way all my life until late and I've found out who the culprit really is: The Ego.

In Dr. Wayne W Dyer's book, The Power of Intention, Dr. Dyer talks of Ego being made of six primary ingredients that account for how we experience ourselves. The top three are these: 1. I am what I have. My possessions (or lack of them) define me. 2. I am what I do. My achievements (or lack of them) define me. and 3. I am what others think of me. My reputation defines me. The phrases in parenthesis are mine.

Until I read that, I didn't really think about the Ego much, but that really had it make better sense to me; sort of an ah-ha experience. Now, when I hear that voice in my head trying to talk me out of something or put me back in my place, I see what the Ego is trying to do. It is trying to protect me and keep me safe from harm. Trouble is, it is making that decision much of the time without my permission. I've just let it have control when I really didn't think that through.

Now, I say, "thank you! I know you mean well, but I will take it from here this time." I have to say that the Ego is persistent in its efforts to keep me from harm. You gotta appreciate that kind of care. But, I'm either in charge or it is, and though I appreciate its efforts, I know this opportunity is right for me and I am going ahead even at the disapproval of my Ego.

This has all been so helpful for me and gets easier every day. I hope your Ego was better trained at letting you be in charge. You probably had nice parents who encouraged you and loved you and guided you. You probably lived in a nice neighborhood and rode in nice cars and got taken and picked up at school and didn't have to ride the bus. And you went to college and. . .

Oops. Sorry. That wasn't your Ego at all, was it?

Go create your world! Nobody deserves it more than you!


My Ego Serves Me. Not The Other Way Around.

Spread Some Joy Today--Listen to that self-talk today and take over for the well intentioned, but misdirected Ego and do it so it serves you well.

No comments:

Post a Comment