Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Daily Inspiration 12-23-09

Jim Rohn Week

To honor the passing of Jim Rohn on December 5th, 2009, I will be sharing some of my favorite quotes throughout the week. Jim Rohn was a powerful influence in my thinking beginning with my introduction to his teaching in early 1981. See more about Jim Rohn at www.jimrohn.com.

-------------------

"Leaders must learn to discipline their disappointments. It is not what happens to us, it is what we choose to do about what happens that makes the difference in how our lives turn out."

"The challenge of leadership is to be strong, but not rude. Be kind, but not weak. Be bold, but not a bully. Be thoughtful, but not lazy. Be humble, but not timid. Be proud, but not arrogant. Have humor, but without folly."

"Learn to help people with more than just their jobs; help them with their lives."

-- Jim Rohn (1930-2009)

You must learn to discipline your disappointments. I have said that so many times and until I found this quote again, I had forgotten where it came from. It is so true. This was a big learning experience to really understand that it isn't what happens but how we think about what happens that makes the difference in how we feel and how we either react or respond. Ultimately, it directs our lives--one way or the other.

Jim was such a powerful leader and I think it is better said that he was a "world mentor." I considered him my first real strong mentor and I studied what he had to say. Sure he was a leader, but a mentor is so much more to me. I think of a leader as the President of the United States or some company, but I think of a mentor as someone much more personal to you though you may never have met in person. I forget the human part of them and consider the message as transcending all of that because it is so useful to me in becoming more, living more and loving more.

Jim's quote on the challenge of leadership is so good. I have met so many so-called leaders in my past that could not be classified here. I will have to call them 'managers' instead of leaders. Leaders are all these qualities: strong, not rude; kind not weak; bold, not a bully; thoughtful and not lazy; humble, yet not timid; proud, not arrogant and have humor without folly. It doesn't come from a magnetic personality but from experience, dedication and constant learning.

The last quote is something I have tried to do well since I first became a manager at 25 years of age--to help people with their lives not just their job. I've never been just an employer, but a friend. It isn't a personal thing so much as being an encourager and uplifter. I try to inspire as I am inspired. To me, there is nothing so special and so welcome as words of encouragement, whether verbally or in writing. I know how special it feels to me, so I want to give that same feeling back to everyone I can. It is far more valuable than money and lasts forever. I can remember encouraging words way back and I endeavor to forget and erase any and all discouraging mentions.

Here's another Jim Rohn quote about working:

"The most important question to ask on the job is not "What am I getting?" The most important question to ask is "What am I becoming?"

I want to help people become more, because that is what I want for myself. Let's call it the Golden Rule of leadership: Lead others the way you want to be led.


Leadership Is An Art. Jim Rohn Is A Masterpiece!

Spread Some Joy Today--Begin becoming an encourager: Start encouraging someone this very day.

No comments:

Post a Comment