Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Daily Inspiration 12-29-09

Jim Rohn Week

To honor the passing of Jim Rohn on December 5th, 2009, I will be sharing some of my favorite quotes throughout the week. Jim Rohn was a powerful influence in my thinking beginning with my introduction to his teaching in early 1981. See more about Jim Rohn at www.jimrohn.com.

-------------------

"Life is part positive and part negative. Suppose you went to hear a symphony orchestra and all they played were the little, happy, high notes? Would you leave soon? Let me hear the rumble of the bass, the crash of the cymbals, and the minor keys."

-- Jim Rohn (1930-2009)

I love this quote about the positive and the negative and using the orchestra to make the point that both are necessary and desired.

Many people call me Mr. Positive or some other less endearing names, and it might seem like a dichotomy to accept the idea of the negative mixing with the positive being a good thing. I absolutely focus on the positive whenever I can, yet what would positive be without the negative? What would solutions be without problems? What would success be without failure? I don't think it is possible to be one and completely exclude the other. I think excluding one would automatically exclude the other, then there would be nothing.

The deal is, where do I focus my attention? I focus on uplifting and exciting! I am well aware of downgrading and boring. I have no use for them except as a contrast to what I desire. Yet, without them, what would uplifting and exciting mean? It would mean nothing. If I were to focus my attention on downgrading and boring, I would achieve a different result. I suppose a good question then is which would you choose? How would you like to feel? Choosing to focus on one is not excluding the other, but acknowledging it.

Now, here's what I really get from this quote: My goal is to be neutral, centered. Think of it like stereophonic music where you hear different parts through the right and the left, yet you are centered and can experience them both and reap the rewards of the combination.

I absolutely love music to the degree that I can become absolutely lost in it as I experience the different sounds. I can totally appreciate them together while at the same time hearing them as separate. I love a good sad song once in a while, but I find that happy, uplifting, powerfully expressed, moving beat music is my preference. The main reason is how I feel when I hear it. Or, better said, how I want to feel.

How do you want to feel? Choose your focus. Don't exclude anything, but choose your focus and then you get to feel how you want to feel. Isn't it so awesome that you get to choose all of that? So powerfully enabling!


I Love Music! I Love Joy! I Appreciate All!

Spread Some Joy Today--You know, there is just no better way to show how you feel than a smile from knowing you are loved so deeply that it is the love of God. Smile that way today for others to see. It is incredibly powerful and yet so simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment