Sunday, August 30, 2015

Daily Inspiration 8-30-15

"Most beliefs are formed by words-- 
and they can be changed by words as well. 

Realize now the power that your words command 
if you simply choose them wisely." 

-- Tony Robbins, 
from Awaken the Giant Within 



Part of what I do with commercial truck dealers we have as clients is to shoot videos for those that are willing. And the great news for those who are is that these videos can make a grand difference in their sales and the growth of the commercial truck department. Between my business partner, Ryan, we have shot hundreds of these videos. We have both learned how to be video directors and cameramen.

Yesterday was my third video session with our local Ford store client and the commercial manager, Kent. In all the videos I have done, he is by far my best student. What makes him the best student is that beyond being willing, he follows directions and is open to doing something he's never done before. In other words, he's willing to do. I will talk to him about what I would like to see, give him some ideas of what to say, then let him go to it, and he does very well at it, growing with each video. I told him yesterday that I'm going to start calling him "one-take Kent."

Just before the start of the first video, he said, "Let's give it a try. I hope I can remember all of that." I stopped him and said that he needs to change what he is saying. I said that he needed to say, "this will be the best video I've done yet!" By the end of the 90-minute shoot, he was saying that on his own. 

We don't realize how powerful our words can be. It's not even the words. It's the feeling behind them. Words like, "I hope. . ." or "I'll try. . ." or "maybe this time. . ." are expressing feelings inside that are guiding what we do. They are affirmations.

Affirmations are intentions. As we speak them aloud, they grow in their strength. We might want to ask ourselves about what is coming out of our mouth, "is this what I want? Or is this what I do NOT want?"

Often the difference in performance is in the words out of our own mouth or spoken in our head prior to the action. When we changed the affirmation to, "this will be the best video yet!" the video was better, and each one improved.

We don't do videos to sell a particular truck as much as to sell the idea of how this truck and combination of body and chassis can be valuable. We never talk about price or terms. It is always about the product and how it can be used, including interesting features, and more. We don't want them dated, and we don't need to list VIN numbers, or disclosures because we aren't really selling this truck. They are more educational. These videos get way more traffic as a result.

In these videos we were doing, I am teaching him how to sell a completely different way than he has always done it. He is picking it up like a vacuum and he is using it when he talks to clients. In fact, yesterday, there was a steel dump that was kind of unique on the lot. It was sold, but I said, let's do a video on this. He knew pretty much nothing about steel dumps, but in a few minutes he knew a lot and he did a walk around on that truck like a pro. It was a powerful teaching and learning moment. By the way, he began the video by saying, "this will be the best video yet!." And it was.


Affirmations Are Intentions. Be Aware Of What You Intend. It Has A Tendency To Be True. 

Spread Some Joy Today--by sharing your expertise and your joy with someone who is willing. The shared joy is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment