Thursday, November 7, 2013

Daily Inspiration 11-7-13

"When the fear of "things staying the same"
exceeds the fear of "failure,"
stuff happens."
 
-- Mike Dooley


At an excellent meeting today, I met a young man who says that he really wants to go for it and be the best he can be and become really good at his newly chosen field in sales. Do you have any idea how many times I've heard that?

It is many. I even asked him if he was serious. He claims he is. And, no matter how many times I hear it, and no matter how many times they are just moving air with the mouth and lungs, I want to not only believe it, but become their biggest and best cheerleader. I would relish helping them, mentoring them, doing whatever I could to be of service. Seriously.

I was him one time very long ago. I spoke that fresh enthusiasm I had to others around me. Many of the older, wiser, skilled salespeople came to my aid to talk me out of my dreamy state and force a dose of reality upon me. I have learned in time that there are two ways to have the tallest building: One, to become known as a builder, and two, to become known as a destroyer. My sales partners were all destroyers because it kept their relative safety secure. For the moment.

The only time something really gets done is when the fear of things staying the same is greater than the fear of failure. I say, go for it. It reminds me of a sign I saw in a friends auto garage which said, "One: If you're going to be a bear, be a grizzley! Two: Shit happens." So failure isn't such a failure after all. It is just a response and it only means effort was made. Now, do it again. And again. And again. And one more time for good measure.

Ask yourself two important questions. One, what am I really afraid of? and Two, what's the worst thing that can happen?


It's Always Easier Said Than Done Until You Overcome The Fear Of Things Staying The Same.

Spread Some Joy Today--Just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment