Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Daily Inspiration 8-29-12

"Attention is the greatest gift
you can give--full attention."

-- Eckhart Tolle 


There is much in Eckhart Tolle's teachings that I may not fully understand yet, but I am practicing them and finding far better experiences and results through the effort. Being present is the major point he makes because it allows us to pay attention to the now and live in the now rather than in the past and future.

To practice this, I allow myself to give full attention to another person in a conversation without thinking about what they are saying or thinking about what I am going to say next, or even being distracted by things going on around me. This is being present and being in the moment, and yesterday, I noticed myself practicing it in a meeting and it was wonderful. I'm not sure I have ever experienced that before in that kind of setting.

By being present and giving full attention, it is the same as giving them loving care. You are listening to their words, inflections, how their thoughts are being expressed and you can hear what they are saying and what they are not saying at the same time. That part is interesting.

I've always been a part of a conversation, meeting, and such, but now that I see myself practicing this, I believe I was never really there until now. It's strange and interesting at the same time. It is also practicing patience. Try it yourself. Clear your mind and focus on the person talking and pay them full attention. Don't allow any noise or interruption to disturb your presence. Let them talk as long as they need to and don't give any thought to it. In fact, if a thought comes into your head, just brush it aside and continue to focus on them. It will be clear when they are done speaking for a time, and if a response is appropriate, respond.

What a fascinating change this is. 

 
The Gift Of Attention.

Spread Some Joy Today--Talk less. Listen more.

No comments:

Post a Comment