Sunday, August 26, 2012

Daily Inspiration 8-26-12

"Let me ask you something.
If someone prays for patience,
you think God gives them patience?
Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient?
If he prayed for courage,
does God give him courage,
or does he give him opportunities to be courageous?
If someone prayed for the family to be closer,
do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings,
or does he give them opportunities to love each other?"
 
-- Morgan Freeman playing God in the movie Evan Almighty


I love the movie that this quote came from. Evan Almighty is funny, heartwarming, and has lessons too. Just like life. Then, all we have to do is practice them.

Today, I had another opportunity to practice patience. I went to the grocery store for a few things and had three bags worth in my hands and needed a roll of stamps. They have a post office there in the store, so I went over by the counter and I see there is quite a line of 5 or 6 people which is unusual.

At first I thought, 'maybe I should go back to the check out counter and see if they have rolls, since I know they have books of stamps.' Then, after deciding not to do that, my next thought as I'm seeing the line not moving was, 'maybe I'll come back another time.' Then, I decided that since I was already there, I might as well wait in line and get it done rather than procrastinate. So, I got in line.

The line wasn't moving. The person currently at the counter appeared to have a project of tasks for the one clerk, but after several minutes, the clerk moved her over to the other counter to fill something out. Ah. . . it's moving. Then, I just decided to practice my patience and as I had that thought, I began to be calm, not even notice the weight of the bags in my hands, and actually enjoyed the break and was at peace.

The line moved again, and after about 15 minutes, I was nearing the front. In the last couple of minutes, a lady behind me started complaining that there was only one clerk and she has complained to the manager about this before and they just don't get it and on and on she went about it and how inconvenient it was. After she was done with her rant, I said calmly, 'you know, I find that standing in line is an opportunity for me to practice being patient. I'm actually enjoying standing in line today.' I was sort of amazed I said that, but I don't think she was even listening.

It was true and I had one more (I need plenty!) opportunity to practice being patient. Standing in line is a good one that comes to all of us often enough and it's really more interesting to be grateful for it and then go with it, rather than resist it.


Practice Makes Me Better.

Spread Some Joy Today--by just being the best you that you can be

No comments:

Post a Comment