Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Daily Inspiration 7-19-11

"You can eliminate depression without making someone happy.
You can cure anxiety without teaching someone optimism."

-- Shawn Achor, The Happiness Advantage


"There is no way to happiness.
Happiness is the way."

-- Dr. Wayne Dyer


I've heard that some people are naturally optimistic. I wasn't one of them. I'm not sure that I've met one of those naturally optimistic people, but I am certain that I know some who are much more optimistic than others.

The quote above by Shawn Achor is very interesting. I've never quite thought of it that way, but it is certainly true. You can give someone a pill and mellow them out, but that isn't a cure, but a masking of symptoms. To take that even further and incorporate Dr Wayne Dyer's quote, eliminating depression isn't the way to happiness, happiness is the way to eliminating depression. Same with fear, anxiety and optimism.

I've tried so many things over the years and there is still only one thing that works: practicing different thoughts. Now, it isn't easy, but it is simple. The key is the word practice, and the more often the practice, the faster the progress. So, it is fair to say that I am not so much as a happy person, but a practicing happy person. I practice happiness every day now. On purpose.

To do this, I choose thoughts that help me be optimistic, enjoy the moment, see the value. The other thing that has helped immeasurably is learning to appreciate as many things as possible throughout the day. If I start with appreciation, optimism just flows without me thinking any more about it.



"An Optimist Is The Human Personification Of Spring."

-- Susan J Bissonette


Spread Some Joy Today--Yesterday, I said to pass up that close parking place and let someone else have it. I'm having loads of fun seeing close in spots and then giving them away to someone else. Joy is such a simple thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment