Sunday, December 5, 2010

Daily Inspiration 12-5-10

"Do not wait; the time will never be "just right."
Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools
you may have at your command, and better tools
will be found as you go along."

-- Napoleon Hill


"So what do we do? Anything. Something.
So long as we just don't sit there.
If we screw it up, start over. Try something else.
If we wait until we've satisfied all the uncertainties,
it may be too late."

-- Lee Iacocca


"Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time;
it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable."

-- Sydney Harris



The volume of things that I've put off is staggering. It is so easy to be indecisive and desire to think more on it, or research more about it. I dare say that we are all experts at this strategy. I know that I certainly am, and I could go on for great lengths about the things I have procrastinated on in the past as well as the present. Yes, I still wallow in some indecisiveness,

But. . .

the thing to avoid about indecisiveness, or procrastination, or putting things off, lies at the heart of the third quote above: . . ."it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable." The thing to avoid is guilt. So, you didn't do it; so you couldn't quite make up your mind; so what?

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of making decisions and moving right away. I do not want to put something off that I really want to do. And, there is is other key. If I really want to do it, it will get done. If I'm not sure about it, I will have to think on it some more, delay making a decision, or procrastinate. So, thinking about it has value in that I can find clarity, or hope to find clarity, or sort things out so that I am comfortable with the thought.

Because it has helped me a great deal, others may find that the thing that helps is to think more in terms of allowing and appreciating the experience, rather than something we might want to do that may not work out. By allowing and appreciating the experience, it takes away a lot of stress about performance and objective completion. It's okay. Every thing will work out just fine. Let it be as The Beatles said it.

So, bottom line is just have a little courage in experiencing more of life and it will seem less like a chance and more like an experience. Jump in. See what it's like. You may find that procrastination will become part of your joy instead of your guilt. I guess you might call that a guilty pleasure. . .



Doing What I Love. That's My Favorite Experience.


Spread Some Joy Today--Don't sweat the small stuff. . . it's all small stuff. . . both good thoughts to remember. Have some fun procrastinating today. Since we do it, we may as well have some fun with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment