Sunday, March 3, 2013

Daily Inspiration 3-3-13

"One's real life
is often the life
that one does not lead."
 
-- Oscar Wilde


Yesterday, one of my thousands of thoughts and scenarios going through my head was me picturing someone who knows a little about me talking to my business partner and he was asking him, "is he for real?" And, my partner said, "Yep. He's the real deal."

As I watched that little movie in my mind, I felt so good about it that I was amazed. To me, that statement about being the real deal is the epitome of my desire. It would be a fitting epitaph. I just can't think of anything better or more appropriate of who and what I want to be.

e. e. cummings said, "It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are." I know that some times that is very true. At the same time, what I truly am is a moving target. I am constantly changing in many ways, even having long held beliefs change overnight. This causing me to remember that a belief is just a thought we keep thinking until we decide not to anymore. Yet, there is still, regardless of the morphing changes, the real me that I refuse to let go of.

I like how the late Jim Morrison said it: "The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are." It is freedom. It feels free. It seems that the world around us is trying so hard to make us into someone else using standards, rules, and social etiquette, and we can often become a watered-down version of ourselves, or even worse, a clone.

One thing that I have lately found so true was said well by Terri Guillemets. She said, When you dance to your own rhythm, life taps its toes to your beat." It does as we allow ourselves the permission to be real, or true to ourselves.

Be that unique, one-of-a-kind you. Change as you desire to allow change, but this should never change the unique, one-of-a-kind you. It just means your growing and becoming. There is nothing as wonderful as being the real deal.


"All my life I had been looking for something, and everywhere I turned someone tried to tell me what it was. I accepted their answers too, though they were often in contradiction and even self-contradictory. I was naïve. I was looking for myself and asking everyone except myself questions which I, and only I, could answer. It took me a long time and much painful boomeranging of my expectations to achieve a realization everyone else appears to have been born with: that I am nobody but myself." -- Ralph Ellison

Spread Some Joy Today--Be the real deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment