Thursday, May 5, 2011

Daily Inspiration 5-5-11

"If you follow your bliss you put yourself on a kind of track that has
been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought
to be living is the one you are living. Follow your bliss and don't be
afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be."

-- Joseph Campbell


I got to watch a class this morning where the instructor said, "very few people have a job where they love what they do. I truly love what I do and I've done it now for over 20 years!"

I thought, isn't that interesting! You can hear the joy in her voice and see the joy on her face, and you instantly know that it is true. And, at the same time, I thought about my life and how much of it was lived where I did not love what I did. It was okay, but it was not love. However, now I am in her category and loving what I do is so much a part of me now that I find it hard to imagine accepting anything less anymore.

Much of the time, I think people choose money over doing what they love, or I should say quick money, because I believe that doing what you really love will not be a poor choice financially in the long term. It seems ridiculous to think that it wouldn't. And, it seems true that we all make the choices. After all, who makes them for us? Even if others influence us, it is always our own decision.

I think also that much of the time, people are afraid to choose something that they love because they fear that it wouldn't work out somehow. Or, it is the fear of the unknown versus the comfort and security of known. Fear is a potent adversary.

Mainly I think it is the comfort zone. People are just comfortable where they are even when it is doing something they dislike doing, or working for people that they hate working with and so on. They get into a habit pattern and just keep repeating it. It reminds me of that old joke, "Dr., when I do this, this happens!" and the Doctor says, "then stop doing that!" Think about that one. . . How many times would that be great advice when going to a doctor?

So what does all this do for us? A different decision is possible perhaps. Or not. . . Nonetheless, it is in each of us purely and totally our own choice.



"The Cave You Fear To Enter Holds The Treasure You Seek." -- Joseph Campbell


Spread Some Joy Today--Ask yourself two questions: 1. What am I really afraid of? and 2. What is the worst thing that could happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment