Saturday, May 21, 2011

Daily Inspiration 5-21-11

"If there was no praise or criticism in the world,
then who would you be?"

-- Quoted in It's Not About the Coffee by Howard Behar


I think we all want praise, and though we all get criticism, generally that is not something we want, yet both have value and can help us to know something more about what we are trying to do. Trouble is, much of the time it is taken so personally that rather than helping us, we shut down. If we don't quit very shortly after the criticism, we certainly are not operating anywhere near capacity. It's as if an anchor has been attached to us now.

So, it is fascinating to me to look at this quote and really give it some thought.

And, guess what? I think I'm doing it right now. I wouldn't have said that five years ago, ten years ago, twenty years ago or even forty years ago, but I feel confident in saying it now.

I'm not doing any part of what I'm doing now for praise. I'm doing it because I'm driven to do it. I want to do it and I'm happy to do it. I also no longer plug into criticism about my choice. They may think as they like, but they won't dissuade me by criticism and I won't be enamored and hooked on any praise either.

This is the difference now in what I do than has ever been in my life.

There is a similar question that I've heard many times, "What would you do if you had all the money you needed or wanted?" You may not want to believe me, but I would do what I'm doing now, just in a bigger, more expanded way. I feel like I'm doing what I was meant to do, and having stepped out there just a few years back, a certain confidence in the right decision became clear.

And, last it's not about what I do, it's about who I have become and am becoming and I like that part the best. I'm very pleased with who I've become and how that is unfolding.



It's Never Too Late To Be The Person You've Always Wanted To Be . . .


Spread Some Joy Today--Joy requires no effort, only a releasing of struggle. It is rather like letting go of the rope completely. What's the best thing that could happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment