Sunday, May 1, 2011

Daily Inspiration 5-1-11

"If I had a formula for bypassing trouble,
I would not pass it round.
Trouble creates a capacity to handle it.
I don't embrace trouble;
that's as bad as treating it as an enemy.
But I do say meet it as a friend,
for you'll see a lot of it
and had better be on speaking terms with it."

-- Oliver Wendall Holmes


The more I practice calmness in the face of trouble, the more friendly I become with it. I think this is the case because trouble is purely our reaction to a stimulus. Even calling it a problem or trouble is indicative of how we think about it. Opportunity would be a healthier way to view trouble or problems, and indeed, that would be what they truly are.

As we begin with one time of relaxing and even rejoicing, each one after that becomes easier and more fruitful. I want to get to the point where I am like W Clement Stone reacting with enthusiasm and joy with every encounter with an issue. This causes more and grander opportunities to be seen that are otherwise hidden. Get excited about what may come next instead of anticipating an unhappy arrival.

I know that sounds too easy, and it is! The only thing that is required is two things: One, a decision to begin looking at problems this way, and two, practice often!



"There Is No Education Like Adversity." -- Disraeli


Spread Some Joy Today--Get excited about problems today. That will shake things up.

No comments:

Post a Comment