Saturday, October 16, 2010

Daily Inspiration 10-16-10

"It is something to be able to paint a particular picture,
or to carve a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful;
but it is far more glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere
and medium through which we look. To affect the quality
of the day--that is the highest of arts."

-- Henry David Thoreau



This is probably my second favorite quote by Henry and even just a few years ago, I wouldn't have understood it as I do today. It is so much easier to create things, do things and miss the opportunity and experience of creating the day the way you would like it to be--just for the experience of it. Yet, that is so much more valuable in my opinion than any art ever created.

And guess what? That is something that we all have the same exact--meaning no difference--opportunity to do, every single minute of every single day. And the opportunity is not a limited time offer, but is offered all the time, whenever you are ready to accept it. A rare open-ended offer.

Once I learned how to affect the quality of my day deliberately, my life was my own for the first time. And once I learned how to perfect that through practice, it continues to improve every single day.

I am not skilled at carving a statue, painting a picture, or any other kind of traditional art, but one thing I can do is "paint the very atmosphere and medium through which I look and affect the quality of every day."

Since I know we all have that same power, then it remains only to choose so. I absolutely love the fact that this is that simple!



We Are All Artists In The Painting Of Our Lives.


Spread Some Joy Today--Accept yourself as an artisan and create your day today. Start as you wake up and continue painting your day as you move through it. The joy it brings is without measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment