Friday, February 19, 2016

Daily Inspiration 2-19-16

"Things won are done, 
joy's soul lies in the doing." 

-- William Shakespeare 



Bronnie Ware, author of Your Year For Change,- 52 Reflections For Regret-Free Living, in number 24 of this book talks about someone who wrote to her pointing out a grammatical error in one of her articles and mentioning that there are some pedantic critics out there. I loved her response and thought it worth sharing.

She said, "That is the nature of human life. We will never all agree and are entitled to individual opinions." Then she added, "Do these things, like perfection and faultless grammatical correctness, truly matter in the end, though? I cannot imagine my dying thought being I wish I would have written that article differently. I do enjoy improving as a writer. I enjoy improving in any field. But in my heart I am happy by expressing myself honestly. That is all I ask of myself--that, and to enjoy the process of growth that accompanies it. The grammar police may not agree with my style, but they don't need to."

And so it is with critics. As Jim Rohn used to say, "Liars are supposed to lie. That's why they call them liars!" So critics are supposed to be critical. That's why they call them critics. Of course, that doesn't mean that we need to pay any attention to them.

It's not about them anyway. It's about us. We do the best we can and then we let it go. We begin. We publish. We make the decision. We act. At some point, we need to let go of it and let it be as it will be. Our joy comes from that doing--that act. What people will think of it is none of our affair. It is theirs. Our affair was the doing.

If something wasn't perfect, we can fix it next time, or ignore it completely as we choose, but to wait until it everything is perfect in order to do will keep us from doing, because perfection is a never-ending task.

In January, I published the 2nd Edition of my book, Commercial Truck Success. I went through it with a fine tooth comb and made numerous corrections, taking out some small portions and adding others in. After I got the proof, I made another few corrections, and finally, I had to say, go with it. I could have nitpicked it for weeks on end. Now it's out there and an improvement from the original from 2012, and that is that.

Whatever is worth doing begs to be done. "Things won are done, joy's soul lies in the doing." 


Crossing Things Off My To-Do List. . . Now My DONE List! 

Spread Some Joy Today--by letting go of stress and worry. Once released, joy no longer has any obstacles.

No comments:

Post a Comment