Monday, February 1, 2016

Daily Inspiration 2-1-16

"Things are always changing. 
But not completely."

-- Albert K. Strong 



I was reflecting on how technology has changed things so dramatically in so many ways. Many predicted that certain changes would make the old obsolete and the new would be all that was left. That isn't exactly how it has worked out.

Remember those predictions that paper would no longer be needed since we can store everything digitally? Hasn't happened. I wouldn't be surprised that we use more paper than when that prediction was first made. Often digital files are emailed for convenience only to be printed out on the other end.

Books. The Kindle and other digital readers were said to kill the printed book. They have not. I had a part-time used book business for over ten years, and though the market changed somewhat, that market is still there. I got my first Kindle (I have two, one in color, one not, plus Kindle apps on my computer, iPad, and iPhone), I thought maybe I would rarely buy a printed book again. I have about 250 books on my Kindle, but I buy printed books all the time. There is something about a paper book. Umberto Eco said, "To read a paper book is another experience: you can do it on a ship, on the branch of a tree, on your bed, even if there is a blackout."

Telephones have changed, but they are still telephones. I still get mail in my mailbox. I love getting mail. I rarely receive handwritten communications in my mailbox, but relish them when they do come. The email has definitely taken over writing letters for the most part, but that only makes writing letters all the more special. Texting has taken over phone calls and email both for some, but it is still communication, and more like an email than a phone call.

The email was meant to be fast. It is sent and received fast, but now there are so many emails from so many people and places that email may not be the best way to communicate. I know in my business, where I spend so much time in my email box, so many times, getting on the phone gets the thing done whereas an email can so easily be ignored or buried in the pile. In fact, with many clients, it is a poor method of communication.

No matter how the forms of communication have changed in this digital age, there is no substitute for face to face communications. There is the energy of each person, the more intimate surroundings, the visual experience, and the audible experience. We can read people's emotions, feel their warmth or resistance, sense their agreement or disagreement, work through issues. In-person communication is a multi-level experience, whereas texting, writing, email, and such are one dimensional. No matter how much things seem to change, the basics are still the basics.

No matter how we use algorithms to find the players, it is still the coach saying, "Gentlemen, this is a football. . ."


Change Is A Given And A Taken. 

Spread Some Joy Today--by writing or calling someone, visiting someone, and saying hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment