Saturday, June 28, 2014

Daily Inspiration 6-28-14

"Knowledge is said to be power, 
but habit is what rules." 

-- Albert K Strong 


Today in a class I was sharing some thoughts I had on the way to the dealership for training. I have studied for a lot of years--earnestly for over 40 years--and much of what I learned in the first few years was sufficient to do very well, yet I have found that knowledge is powerful and helpful, but habit is what rules.

I might have the knowledge. I may have even studied it with vim and vigor, but the only way it ever becomes effective in my life and activated within me is when it becomes a habit. The great Og Mandino, who should know, said that "only a habit can subdue another habit." So, if I want to change my habitual patterns, I need to actively overwrite those other habits with the ones I prefer, otherwise, all the knowledge in the world will just be a library in my head.

The audiobook and matching book, The Secret, changed my life. It was exactly what I needed when I needed it. I had been attracting it for some time, and when I first heard it, I knew that I did not want to know it from a knowledge point of view, or even know it enough to teach it. No, I wanted it to become me. I wanted to live the rest of my life that way. So to help create the new habits, I listened so many times that it became me, and now I live that way every day. And, by the way, not in the perfection of it, but in the practice of it. It requires practice to become a habit and a belief because a belief is just a thought that we keep thinking.

So, whatever it is, whether it is wanting to be a really good sales prospector, engineer, business person, whatever, we need to desire it and practice it, live it, feel it in our lives and it will in short time become us. Success is just a practiced art, and habit rules that domain.


"We Must First Make Our Habits, Then Our Habits Make Us." -- John Dryden 

Spread Some Joy Today--Call a friend. Share your joy with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment