Friday, April 4, 2014

Daily Inspiration 4-4-14

"Be good to your work, 
your word, 
and your friend." 

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson 


Yesterday, I spoke about a client and friend who called me for advice. There were actually two distinct things that were important in this call, and yesterday I spoke of one of them. Today, I will speak of the other.
He sent me a small project to do and when I found out it was outside my skill box, I said so, but I said that I would try to figure it out. The truth is that I didn't want to do it because I don't know how and it seemed like a learning curve I had no current desire to go through. I failed to say anything about that.

Several weeks passed and on this phone call, he asked how I was doing on the project. I said that I didn't want to learn how to do it and I didn't know how and basically was trying to make excuses. I could hear the disappointment in his voice and I felt poorly for the delay and then my inept response. But, he said he understood, and that was that.

On the drive home from where I was, I'm thinking that he called me on my stuff and I was definitely exposed. So, I felt a leak in my integrity. A major leak. So, I wanted to remedy that and as soon as I got back to my office, I began to learn how to do it.

It's amazing when you decide you're going to do it even when you don't know how. What before seemed like a mountain, now seemed quite possible and in a short time, I figured it out, completed the project and notified my friend and client.

Sometimes we all get a bit off our integrity walk probably. I know I did. But, I am also very grateful that he called me on it ever so politely. He could have said, "you told me you were going to do your best to figure it out, and is this all you've got?" He would have been right, of course, but fortunately, he has more tact. And, even though we may trip off the trail, we only have to get back on the trail and follow through.


It's Amazing What We Can Do When The Priority Is Moved To The Top Of The List For Whatever Reason May Be The Motivation. 

Spread Some Joy Today--How's your generous spirit? Feeling generous? Share that joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment