Friday, April 18, 2014

Daily Inspiration 4-18-14

"We are kept from our goal 
not by obstacles 
but by a clear path 
to a lesser goal." 

 -- Robert Brault 


I love this quote. We make a decision. It's a firm decision. I'm going to do this, I am going to do that, I will stop doing this and so on. Intentions are wonderful, and strong intentions seem logically more powerful than lesser intentions. So it seems, but stronger intentions, more important goals don't operate in a vacuum. Decisions, firm or otherwise do not create completion on their own. Although, it may be that we sincerely hope this is true, time proves otherwise often enough.

Aristotle said it this way: "All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsions, habit, reason, passion, desire." I have no idea how he rated the power of these seven attributes or opportunities, but I would choose desire at the head of the table, with passion and habit as their powerful partners.

As Robert Brault so clearly points out that it isn't so much the obstacles, adversity, disappointment, or any such blockage that takes us off the hunt, but an easy, pleasant, and convenient side trip. What makes me laugh at this a bit is that we end up getting somewhere, though we may have missed our intended target.

What is true for me is that if (and it is a big "if". . .) my desire is strong enough, I will absolutely find a way. A decision doesn't do that. I make all kinds of decisions that I don't follow through on. I've already admitted to being an artist at procrastination. If I don't follow through, I know it is my desire. It is weak and more related to something I feel I should do for a variety of reasons (one of the seven!).

I am beginning to realize this difference and stop beating myself up about making decisions and then not meeting the goal. I need to focus on my desire, and with my strong enough desire and my partners, passion, and habit, I cannot fail. Without sufficient desire, it is another story to tell.


Cranking Up The Desire! 

Spread Some Joy Today--by enjoying yourself. Life is short. Have a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment