Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Daily Inspiration 12-31-13

"Revisit your past 
only to recognize 
how far you have come." 

 -- Alan Cohen


This morning I was talking to a friend and ended up telling an overview of my story of the last seven years being in business for myself. The real value in telling it wasn't for him, but for me. I realized this moments after I hung up the phone. The value was for me to see the picture of how far I've come.

Now, often, if you're anything like me--you know. . . human--you may look at today and think that you're not yet where you want to be. You may even be a bit like me in being a bit concerned about that aspect. This can go on and on and on and on and lead exactly nowhere in particular. It is a circle of nothing. So, I've learned through much trial and error and paying a little attention that this is not a good place to be.

So the story was helpful because it made me realize that I am cooler than I thought, smarter than I look, and happier than I feel because I started there and am now here. Here is relative, but at least it is here. It is not there. I don't want to go back. I like moving forward, and I especially like moving forward on purpose.

So, perhaps it is time to tell your story aloud to someone and realize how far you've come. To pay attention to some of the detail of improvement and gain. Sure, you may not be there yet as it relates to your full journey, but it is quite valuable to see the tracks in the past from time to time.

And, while you're there, congratulate yourself. Throw a party. Raise a toast. Buy yourself a little gift. You deserve it. You've made it to here and I'm sure you're better for the journey.


Enjoy Where You Are In Pursuit Of Where You Want To Go.

Spread Some Joy Today--Make someone's day. Leave a big tip. No bigger than that. Yes, that's it. Forget the percentage. Just think about how they are going to feel when they see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment