Thursday, December 26, 2013

Daily Inspiration 12-26-13

"Those who cannot remember the past
are condemned to repeat it."
 
-- George Santayana


To this quote, Kurt Vonnegut said, "I've got news for Mr. Santayana: we're doomed to repeat the past no matter what. That's what it is to be alive."

I find that I must disagree with both. The more we hang on to, remember, lament the past for whatever reason we wish to give it, we are dragging it with us as we try to move around in the present. Pleasant memories are wonderful and it may be very good to revisit them from time to time. But, let's take this just a bit closer to what I imagine these gentlemen are referring to. I think they are talking about learning from the past, not forgetting how it was so that we don't repeat the same things over and over again.

However, I still think that by doing that we are more likely to repeat the same things anyway. Out of sight, out of mind. In sight, in mind.

I was concerned about some depressing things I saw posted by a young person on facebook. I was told that they were just seeking attention, which seems beyond obvious, but then I was told that this was normal for that age. I say, not. It may very well be the past repeating itself through a new victim, but to call it normal is interesting. Why should I or anyone else accept this as normal? What the heck is normal anyway? The other answer is often, "oh, it's the hormones." OK. More thoughts of the past exhibiting themselves into the present with a new victim that we are making into a "normal" person.

Is it normal for anyone at any age to be depressed? Is it normal to have cancer? Is it normal to act a fool? Or, how about the opposite angle. Is it abnormal to do this or that or be this or that way or talk this way or that way? Is it a majority vote that wins what is normal? Isn't normal sort of average?

I guess I shouldn't be concerned at all since it is normal behavior for that age. . .


The Problem May Be That I Am Not Normal, Nor Am I Abnormal. I Do However, Allow Those To Choose As They Will And Celebrate Their Choices.

Spread Some Joy Today--It is a wonderful choice, don't you agree? Joy works. It causes my spirit to glow.

No comments:

Post a Comment