Friday, October 11, 2013

Daily Inspiration 10-11-13

"Enthusiasm is the divine particle in our composition:
with it we are great, generous, and true;
without it, we are little, false, and mean."
 
-- Letitia Landon


I think of the word enthusiasm as being the same as the word, loving. If you have enthusiasm for what you do, you are loving what you do. If you have enthusiasm for your life, you are loving your life. From the original Greek, it also means to be inspired, and with God, which is a good reason that we feel so good when we are enthused, inspired, and in the action of loving.

It is good and helpful to listen to our own talk sometimes in order to hear the tone in how we say what we say as well as the content. Sharing complaints with others is a sure sign of lack of enthusiasm. As Steve Jobs said, and I paraphrase slightly, "too many days of that and I need to reconsider what I am doing."

I'll never forget hiring an experienced salesman when I was a young sales manager. He was somewhat older and had been in the business for a number of years. Within a couple of days, I could overhear him complaining about the dealership out on the showroom floor. I immediately called him into the office and fired him on the spot. The last thing I needed was someone bringing that mood and tone into my organization. He was shocked, but I'm sure it was temporary and I don't think it changed him, but I wasn't going to allow him to change us.

My grandmother used to tell me, "if you can't say anything nice, better to say nothing at all." As good as that statement is, it is not the best answer. The best answer is to do what pleases you. If life is anything, it is to be enjoyed. What is the point of going to work in an industry you don't like, a job you don't want to do, and then complain about what your situation is? If you don't like a part of it, perhaps you can sell off that part, hire someone to do that part, renegotiate so you don't have to do that part anymore. If it can't be parted out (car talk), then something new is appropriate and in order.

Life is way too short to do what you have to. Do what you want to. Find a way. There is always a way when you make the decision to move toward what you love.


Be Enthusiastic. Enjoy Your Time On This Wonderful Planet. It May Not Seem This Way, But It Is Always Your Choice To Choose.

Spread Some Joy Today--Enthusiasm is so contagious.

No comments:

Post a Comment