Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Daily Inspiration 9-17-13

"Write it on your heart
that every day is the best day in the year.
He is rich who owns the day,
and no one owns the day who allows it
to be invaded with fret and anxiety."
 
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson


"Write it on your heart that every day (today) is the best day in the year. . ." I have sort of stumbled on to this frame of mind and method of thinking just in the last few months. I've always been task-oriented, or at least, list-oriented. I may have often chastised myself for not crossing off nearly enough off the list. But, now I am leaning toward and have been practicing having one overall goal each day. That goal is simply to enjoy the day. Enjoy the weather, whatever it is. Enjoy what comes, whatever it is. Enjoy the traffic, even waiting in line, no-shows at appointments. There is actually so much to enjoy when I look at it this way.

It is also stress-resistant. If I am enjoying what is going on regardless of what it is, how can I have any stress or anxiety? I only have those when I want to be somewhere else than where I am, or think I should be doing something I'm not, or someone else should be doing something they're not. Deciding to enjoy the day, every day, has many benefits below the surface.

At first I thought it might be hard, but it isn't. It is easy. All it requires is a decision to enjoy the day, all day, every day. If I begin to feel uneasy about anything, I focus on enjoying the day and the uneasiness goes away immediately. If I'm waiting in line, as I did today for some time, I focus on enjoying those moments, watching people all around me being anxious and impatient. I see then what I used to look like, act like. Often people will say, 'sorry to keep you waiting,' and I often answer, 'no problem at all, I love any opportunity to practice patience.' Then I might get a chuckle or a look as if I'm out of my mind. I am.

Try choosing to enjoy each day, all day, every day, and I think that you too will notice no more stress, anxiety, concerns and all that is replaced with a certain level of inner joy and peacefulness.


And. . . Smile At Every One You See!

Spread Some Joy Today--because joy is a choice and you have the ability to choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment