Saturday, August 31, 2013

Daily Inspiration 8-31-13

"Contrast is what makes photography interesting."
 
-- Conrad Hall
 
 
"Perspective gives us the ability to accurately
contrast the large with the small,
and the important with the less important.
Without it we are lost in a world
where all ideas, news, and information look the same.
We cannot differentiate, we cannot prioritize,
and we cannot make good choices."
 
-- John Sununu


I got up this morning, and as I swiveled, sat up and my feet touched the floor, I said, "Lord, thank you for this day. I appreciate the opportunity to enjoy the contrast and make choices." You could say that this was an interesting thing to say at first awakening, and you would be right, and I was so pleased that this was my first thought.

Contrast is all around us all day every day. I love the simple and yet profound quote above by Conrad Hall that says so perfectly, "contrast is what makes photography interesting." It is also what makes life interesting to me. Whereas in the past (seems so long ago now. . .), I saw contrast as good and evil, dark and light, good and bad, positive and negative, I now see contrast in a more subtle light.



Sure, dark and light are severe contrasts, but in and of themselves they contrast nothing. It is the more subtle contrasts that I find interesting and choose to enjoy.



On my wall in big letters is this quote from Abraham and Ester Hicks: "Today, No matter where I'm going and no matter what I am doing, it is my dominant intent to see that which I am wanting to see." As in photography, it is a matter of what we choose to focus on that creates the image and each image is individual and unique.

Some may think that it is what it is and what comes is what comes. A fatalist view for sure, yet we have the power, and privilege, to create our own view of that which we choose to look at, or plug into, and accept. The main difference for me today, is that I am becoming so excited and enjoying contrast and looking forward to what may come. I relish in the idea that I get to make choices every second of every day, and that I create 'my own world' through my choice of what I focus on.

If I watched the news several times a day, I might think that the world is a series of disasters, natural and unnatural, problems, chaos, financial woes, and more. Or, I can look in my courtyard surrounded by plants and flowers and watch the birds in the birdbath, while listening to the sounds of nature. They both exist all day every day. Yet, I get to choose which I focus on. It is always my choice every second of every day.


I Can Enjoy The Contrast, And By Paying Attention To How I Feel About It, I Make Choices That Allow Me To Feel Good.

Spread Some Joy Today--Choose your way into joy. There is no doubt whatsoever in the fact that it is definitely a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment