Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Daily Inspriation 8-14-13

"I believe that there is a subtle magnetism in Nature,
which, if we unconsciously yield to it,
will direct us aright."
 
-- Henry David Thoreau


Continuing the celebration of Nancy's life, and after yesterday's fauna, today, I will discuss her interest and expertise in flora.



I love Nature and I love plants and bushes and trees--especially trees. But houseplants often have a tendency to be ignored. Nancy kept the houseplants not only alive, but continuing to multiply. Some were quite old and still going strong.

Outside the home, she made sure there were new annuals, and other plants, small trees and such that would decorate and sooth. I think sooth is a great word because that is what all the Nature around me does to me. It sooths me. There is a dwarf Maple tree in the courtyard that fascinates me in how it continues to thrive year after year.



In recent years, Nancy was infatuated with Irises. We have them all around the house, and some thrive and others don't get enough sun. But, when they bloom, there is nothing on earth like them. They are spectacular and come in a wide variety of colors.

All this is great until it comes down to taking care of it all. I am expected to take care of all on the outside, but when I don my hand-held clippers, or other mechanical helpers to prune the bushes and small trees, Nancy used to freak out. Don't imagine I'm making light of that. She used to freak out. I was not qualified to trim any plant, bush or tree. Only she would be able to make such high level decisions.


Trouble is, she didn't learn the art of delegation. If I am responsible, then I need to be able to function in the capacity of gardener. Often I would have to wait for instructions. Trim here, not there. Cut here--at an angle, not there. I would often run away in frustration and tell her to do it herself.



There were times when I took it upon myself to trim things. Sometimes they were rather dramatic. I've have never heard the end of some of them. I'm a hack. I have no skills. I am unqualified without proper supervision, and more. Sometimes I would get the clippers out just for effect.



Truth is, Nancy beautified our little plot in ways that I could only be an assistant to. She somehow knew plants to buy, colors to arrange, the highs and lows, the right mixtures, the right soil, the perfect planter, and much more. I got to enjoy the added beauty and some of it has lasted for many years. She definitely had a way. But, boy she was particular and demanding.



It took me some time, but I adapted. Sort of. At least I let her lead 90+% of the time, and that was to everyone's benefit.


"Adopt The Pace Of Nature: Her Secret Is Patience." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Spread Some Joy Today--Take away the plants and trees and I no longer want to live here.

No comments:

Post a Comment