Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Daily Inspiration 6-19-13

"If you wish to be a writer, write."
 
-- Epictetus, 55 AD - 135 AD


This advice is so incredibly simple and succinct. I have generally used it all of my life. When I have decided that I wanted to do something, I simply began doing it. It didn't matter if I seemed to have any talent or training. And the best thing is that regardless of how the beginning is, we always seem to improve as we continue to practice.

I decided I wanted to be a writer. So, I began writing. I wrote my thoughts down, often in a diary method, but at generally greater length and depth. I wrote papers and booklets and now a couple of books. I also began writing songs in the same way. I haven't written one for several years now, but I haven't tried either. Though the first one was terrible, they got better and better.

I became an auto mechanic the same way, a salesman, a sales manager, a business owner, a musician, and more. In fact, I think everything that I have done was achieved by just starting. To many it seems crazy not to have any training and then to start our doing something as if you knew what you were doing. Of course, I know that I don't know what I'm doing, but I just don't let that insignificant fact dissuade me. If it doesn't work out, or I don't like it, I can stop as easily as I began.

We need not do a thing forever to make it valid, nor does it require earning any money as a result of the activity. It is simply that we can do whatever we set our minds to do and the rest will come.


Whatever You Want To Do, Decide And Then Begin.

Spread Some Joy Today--Worry not.

No comments:

Post a Comment