Monday, February 25, 2013

Daily Inspiration 2-25-13

"You cannot change
your destination overnight,
but you can change
your direction overnight."
 
-- Jim Rohn


I've come to realize that destinations can be illusive. What is so much more powerful than a destination is making a decision to more toward something. Although, some may think that we need to move away from things, it is the choice of moving toward that is most powerful.

In reality, the destination is a moving target. It changes with the wind almost. But, that doesn't really matter. It is only the inspiration to action, and the significant action is the decision, and the movement toward is the faith and commitment. Once moving, the destination can change and it doesn't really matter because you're on your way and all growth--indeed, all life--is in a forward direction.

I told someone the other day that at age 58, I jumped off a cliff and I am learning how to put my parachute on as I am falling. Falling is the wrong word, but it flows with the cliff scenario. The thing is that I made a decision and I stepped out in faith. I have a destination in mind, but that is not important. What is more important is the act of doing. It is not trying. As Yoda has said, "do or do not. There is no try." The choice and activity is the main event. THAT is what we can control. The rest is not entirely in our control.

Though this may seem unrelated, I think that my choice to stop blaming makes a big difference. Katherine Hepburn said it well: "We are taught you must blame your father, your sisters, your brothers, the school, the teachers--but never blame yourself. It's never your fault. But it's always your fault, because if you wanted to change you're the one who has got to change." So, when I think I want to blame someone or some situation for whatever is going on in my life, I turn to gratitude instead and it makes a world of difference.

I may not be able to change the destination so quickly, but I am empowered to be able to change my direction at a moments notice.


If The Direction Doesn't Feel Right. Make A Different Decision Until It Does.

Spread Some Joy Today--Celebrate what others use to be sad. What is the point of being sad? Get excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment