Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Daily Inspiration 2-20-13

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well, then,
I contradict myself;
I am large--I contain multitudes."

-- Walt Whitman


Somehow many of us get it into our heads that once we believe something or do something a certain way over some period of time, that there is an expectation that we remain true to that. It really doesn't make any sense if you think about human experience and the fact that change is a rather constant given. Sometimes those changes may be subtle and even unseen in others, but they are occurring nonetheless.

I studied Walt Whitman for a while when I was studying the Civil War a few years ago. Here is a man like no other that I have found in history that was living how he felt and really felt how he was living. It was as if he wore his feelings on his sleeve, and he didn't care who knew it or even much of what they thought about it.

I love the quote above and particularly the last part: "I am large--I contain multitudes." What a wonderful thought. I am large and I contain multitudes. There is so much more to me than meets the eye, critical or otherwise. There is so much going on below the surface, even hundreds of thoughts a minute. Many of them are contradictory. So be it.

The one thing I've come down to more than anything else is that I find a way to relax and enjoy--truly, enjoy my time all throughout the day. Changes? Take them in stride. Contradictions? Allow them in. Presence? Absolutely!


I Have Never Enjoyed My Life As Much As I Do Now Every Single Hour Of Every Single Day. That, My Friends Is What I Consider Success.

Spread Some Joy Today--Wherever you are today--be there. There is joy where you are and it will find you if you just allow it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment