Thursday, February 14, 2013

Daily Inspiration 2-14-13

"There is a voice inside of you
that whispers all day long,
'I feel this is right for me,
I know this is wrong.'
No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
or wise man can decide what's right for you.
Just listen to the voice that speaks inside."
 
-- Shel Silverstein

Found this good quote by Shel Silverstein the author and artist. I have just a little problem with it, so I have to modify it to match my experience. I have more than one voice talking inside my head--or, rather, it speaks out of both sides of its mouth in that there is a bit of an argument often of what to do.

I, of course, am the impartial judge. . . and in that capacity, I always get to choose the right way for me, even when it's wrong. I used to hear that voice a lot back in the day when I smoked. 'I should quit. I'll quit right after this one.' Then the other voice would say, 'it will be the first of the month in three days, that's a better time. I'll wait and enjoy these last three days. . .' You know the drill. I can't imagine I'm alone in that.

But, back to Shel Silverstein's idea. The line in his quote that makes the most sense and I think could be emphasized greatly is, 'I feel this is right for me.' In my decades of listening to these voices and often choosing poorly, I have found a new ally in paying far more attention to how I really and truly feel, than what my ego finds safe and cozy.

In my words, it has to resonate with me, my values, and my vision of my best self. When it resonates, feels wonderful, it will always be the right thing. When it just feels okay, or ego-satisfying temporarily, it isn't resonating, and it certainly is not matching up with my values or my vision of my best self.

It's not about what God or someone outside of me wants for me, it is what resonates with me, and when that lines up, it lines up with my best self and that always lines up with God. This keeps me out of using those outside of me as scapegoats. I have my own extremely accurate and effective inner guidance system.


Nice To Know The Depth Of The Wisdom Within.

Spread Some Joy Today--Do you think that other people get tired and bored with hearing your gratitude or your love? Seriously, I don't think that is at all possible. You're now off the hook. You Are Free To Move About Giving Gratitude Freely.

No comments:

Post a Comment