Monday, March 26, 2012

Daily Inspiration 3-26-12

"The only person you should ever compete with
is yourself. You can't hope for a fairer match."

-- Todd Ruthman

Assuming you're going to compete at all, this is the way--and I think the most meaningful as well.

As a sales manager, I hated all those contests that focused on the top 20% pretending to be motivational to the rest. The truth was that anyone could win, but it was rarely someone outside the top 20%. What's the point of that?

So I always tried to develop contests that would have one showing a certain improvement level over where they were in the past and it certainly made for a more interesting and effective contest. There was also participation by the majority whereas before, so many would give up right out of the gate.

I don't like the idea of competition, but I do like the idea of growth, of becoming more that I was and desiring to get better at what I do. I like contests that everyone can win rather than the top person.


We Are All Winners! In This, There Are No Losers.

Spread Some Joy Today--See what you can do to make your coworkers feel like winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment