Friday, January 6, 2012

Daily Inspiration 1-6-12

"The world we see that seems so insane is the
result of a belief system that is not working.
To perceive the world differently, we must be
willing to change our belief system, let the
past slip away, expand our sense of now,
and dissolve the fear in our minds."

-- William James

I heard something today that I've heard and seen so many times in my business life and I immediately got tense, upset and wanted to blog about it and expose it and make mayhem with it, and. . . Well, I'm sure we've all felt that way from time to time. And, what good would come of that? Would the problem as I perceive it vanish in fear of my anger? Would my urge to write it out cause enlightenment on the situation or people involved? The answers would be none, no and no. In truth, about all I may get is someone else upset and then we could create a club, elect officers and create a mission for the betterment of _________, by eradicating ___________. Of course, we know how many thousands of those already exist saving mankind from mankind.

Then we get into the right and wrong. Albert Strong says that "right and wrong are just two perceptions of the same thing." Calling a thing right or wrong doesn't really help except to create some more clubs and fund raising opportunities. The worst deception is that I'm right, so surely they are wrong. That's a rather dangerous place to get to, if you know what I mean.

Our belief system is more a fluid state than we may realize. A belief is just a thought we keep thinking, so we can certainly choose to change it anytime we want. The key word there is 'can.' I understand the not wanting to part, but then the problem is still wagging the dog.

I can't change what other people think, let alone what they do. I've tried that for a lot of years in every way I can possibly think of and with extremely spotty and poor results. I didn't even consider much through that how it was that I even had the right to do so had it worked as I had hoped.

No. Since I've finally realized with clarity that I cannot change others, I learned that I can however, change me any time I want and as often as I want with almost perfect results. I call that my enlightenment.

So, now back to today when I was feeling that tense emotion, I only experienced it very briefly because now I know that it cannot possibly help, so I immediately turned to changing how I was perceiving the situation, or my thoughts about it, and then thinking about thoughts that caused me to feel better and I instantly felt better.

It is in my allowing of others to be whatever they choose to be and do for themselves that maintains my own well being. Besides bringing me more happiness and joy, it keeps me out of so many of those clubs.


Violence [mental or physical], Even Well Intentioned, Always Rebounds Upon Oneself." -- Lao Tzu

Spread Some Joy Today--Be cool. Chill. Let it go. Think about beautiful things, lovely things, and happier thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment