Monday, January 23, 2012

Daily Inspiration 1-23-12

"Deficiency motivation doesn't work. It will lead to a
life-long pursuit of try to fix me. Learn to appreciate
what you have and where and who you are."

-- Wayne Dyer

It took me a long time to understand this idea of appreciating where I was when I wanted something more. In addition, as a young manager, I was taught to teach deficiency thinking in order to supply sales candidates with "motivation." Wayne's so right, it doesn't work.

Part of the reason that it doesn't work and this is the something that it took me until lately to understand this is that it causes one to see themselves as lacking; as not complete; broken in need of repair. Even if a goal is hit then, it is so much less satisfying that we think and we may even begin thinking that we don't deserve it or we didn't earn it and so on. But the biggest reason to me is we are beginning from a position of imperfection or brokenness trying to move to a position of wholeness. It's not really a fun place to be.

On the other hand, when we appreciate who we are, where we are now and what we have now in pursuit of what we want, we are going from a position of wholeness, not needing, but wanting more in our lives, our work, to have more fun, and more enjoyment--to become more.

These are two very different places of beginning. I have learned to appreciate what I have and it is so much better. I now love my life now just the way it is rather than being unhappy with my life hoping to be happy someday. Nothing can compare.


We Were Perfect When We Were Born, But Slowly And Surely Lost Track Of That. It Is Never Too Late To Relearn Our Perfection.

Spread Some Joy Today--Practice loving yourself and appreciating what you have and where you are regardless of your circumstances in comparison with the rest of the world. The more you practice, the more joy you will have to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment