Saturday, January 2, 2010

Daily Inspiration 1-2-10

[re: Mickey Mouse]
"He popped out of my mind onto a drawing pad 20 years ago
on a train ride from Manhattan to Hollywood
at a time when business fortunes of my brother Roy and myself
were at lowest ebb and disaster seemed right around the corner."

-- Walt Disney

"Everything depends on the way we look at things. . .
The hopeful man sees success where others see failure,
sunshine where others see shadows and storm."

--Orison Swett Marden

"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift. . .
You seek problems because you need their gifts."

-- Richard Bach


I'll bet that if you kept a good, detailed diary over a long period that you would find that every problem brought you a blessing. Of course, they don't look or feel that way at the beginning or while we are experiencing them, but after the dust is settled, the benefit can be clearly seen. It has been said that everyone has 20/20 hindsight. What most of us could really use is 20/20 foresight so we could see the benefit up front and it would make it so much better dealing with the problem. Or, so we think. Truly, we may not have nearly the motivation knowing the outcome up front.

Looking back, I could give you a long list of problems I went through finding blessings on the other side. One thing that I have changed recently is making all the difference in how those problems feel. It's all about the feeling, isn't it? Many times, it feels unpleasant (saying it kindly) to deal with problems or to experience certain circumstances. The thing I changed is how I look at them. I see them and welcome them now as learning experiences and frankly, as blessings. I know absolutely that I am going to be better, things will be better and I will feel better afterward, so I have chosen to feel good about them up front. I tell you this: it makes all the difference in the world what they feel like. No more being unhappy about them, putting up with it, dealing with it, complaining about them. Now, I praise them, look forward to them and even get excited about them. Of course, I am a work in progress, so it does get easier and better as I move forward.

What is really interesting is to look at other people and watch them go through what I used to go through. It's like watching someone smoking. I think, "man, I'm so glad I don't do that any more!" It is empowering and energizing and affirming.

Another interesting thing is to read about others like the Walt Disney quote above. I know that was a very long time ago, but look where he and his brother were and where their lives and where the little company went. It went off the charts! It became a world wide mega business and is still growing even 43 years after Walt Disney's death in 1966. Matter of fact, it grew many times the size it was when he died. That is a powerful legacy.

Think of what can be done when you believe in yourself and know that you are going to do something special. Persistence, vision, tenacity, hope, faith, joy, laughter, confidence, dream are words that come to mind.

What was that problem again?


I Enjoy The Journey and See Opportunity Everywhere!

Spread Some Joy Today--Try thinking differently just for today. Pretend that money is not an object of concern. You're at a party and someone important asks what you do and why you do it. You answer, "________________________ . . ."

No comments:

Post a Comment