Sunday, January 17, 2010

Daily Inspiration 1-17-10

"What you think of yourself is much more important
than what others think of you."

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4 BC-65 AD)


"What the mind of man can conceive and believe,
the mind of man can achieve."

-- Napoleon Hill


Of all the lessons I have needed to learn and succeed with, it is the concept of the quote above by Seneca the Young: "What you think of yourself is much more important that what others think of you." I have to say that this is an easy thing to say and write, but for me at least, it has been one of the most challenging things to truly accept and believe.

You know how it is when you're young, you're always looking for your parents approval, your family approval. Then there is school and you are looking to fit in and to gain the approval of the other classmates and learn how to get along in the world. Then, there is finally adulthood where we get a job and try to fit in and gain the approval of the boss, the coworkers and others. Then, there is your own family you seek the respect and admiration of. Whew! That is one heck of a lot of approval seeking from a world full of others. It's no wonder it's a challenge.

When I was young, I found that I would gain my mother's approval if I did certain things, so I learned to do those things and did them whenever I could to gain her approval. As I got older, I found myself doing very much the same thing with other people, my spouse, coworkers, employers. It didn't really help me much, but it was a way to fit in.

In recent years, I think I have finally accepted myself and my thinking and have taken a firm stance in that. I can tell you this first off: It feels GREAT! I still listen to everything everyone else has to say and I am not inflexible in my thinking; however, I have staked out my own territory so to speak and find that I now have total confidence in myself, my abilities, my skills, my thinking, and even my so-called shortcomings. What a feeling this new level of confidence in myself is. I can hardly express how exciting it is to feel this way after living so many years feeling as if I were coming up short. It is like a new life.

My ex-wife and dear friend told me something over 25 years ago. She said, "if you ever really started believing in yourself, there would be nothing stopping you." I've never forgotten it, yet didn't really believe until now. So, for you people who are late bloomers like me, there is hope. Keep working toward believing in yourself and keep expanding and growing; keep reading uplifting messages, books, listening to motivational materials, attending seminars and having your own positive, uplifting thoughts about yourself. Tell yourself a better story than you have been. Make yourself a success in your own mind regardless of the so-called reality all around you. I can assure you, it is worth every moment and ounce of effort to get to this feeling of total confidence.

"What the mind of man can conceive AND BELIEVE,
the mind of man can ACHIEVE."

It is a fact!


I'm Capable Of Anything I Set My Mind To--ANYTHING!

Spread Some Joy Today--Go buy this book: You Were Born Rich by Bob Proctor. It may be hard to find as a printed book, but they are out there. You can get a free copy in an e-book version (yes, free!) from www.bobproctor.com. Here is a direct link: http://www.bobproctor.com/getbook.asp. This book will amaze you and have you feeling unstoppable about yourself very quickly. Want more? Send me an email, I'll give you a list (tminion@commercialtrucksuccess.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment