Thursday, April 25, 2019

Daily Inspiration 4-25-19

"We can complain because
rose bushes have thorns,
or rejoice because
thorn bushes have roses."

-- Abraham Lincoln




[Classic post from 4-26-17]

I've heard it said to my face that positive thinking is bullshit. But to me, that just sounds like a whole lot of resistance going on.

Whether thinking that resistance is like holding onto a rope as in the tug-o-war game resisting the pull of some opponent, or pushing against something that we don't like or don't want, in either case, and in all cases of resistance, we're not yet ready to hear how that struggle need not be. Or, maybe it does need to be. We grow in all situations and sometimes we create without awareness to bring challenges that we have to figure out.

So is positive thinking bullshit? It is if you are in resistance to it, and it isn't if you are not. Simple truth.

I recently read an article stating this about positive thinking just for fun and it made me laugh. It made it sound like because positive thinking is bullshit that negative thinking rules. Well, there is some truth to that if you look around; however, there is no truth in that if you look around. Just as Abraham Lincoln stated, we can focus on the so-called negative of the rose bush or the so-called positive of the thorn bush. And, yesterday's lead quote by Helen Keller is worth repeating here: "Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it."

There seems to be a natural draw or attraction to negative thinking. I know why that is now. It is the ego. The ego is perfect for what it is good at, but it likes to pretend that it is good at everything. But, it is not. It has a very limited scope of usefulness, and yet it is often the white noise of the voice in our heads. It pretends to be us, but it is not us. We are much higher up than where the ego lives. It's good to remember this.

As we take charge as if we are even above our body, which in reality we are, we can see how all this is working within us and surrounding us. This gives us perspective. We then can choose what to focus on. From this perspective would I choose negative thinking? Why? I like roses. And, I can appreciate thorns. That's not bullshit to me. It's living a life of joy instead of pain.

I spent more time on Facebook in the last couple of days than usual. There are so many positive things there. And, of course, there are negative ones too. One was looking for sympathy in a broken relationship and after reading the story and knowing the person, I put something positive there. Then another post from the same person complaining more, so I posted again something uplifting, or meant to be uplifting. But, I'm certain that this person was thinking, positive thinking is bullshit.

I rarely 'swim upstream' with people anymore, but once in a while, I indulge myself in attempting to point out the rose within the thorns. We can't really change people. Only they can change themselves. Sometimes a positive uplifting word or thought might be of benefit, but generally when people are in resistance, there they are until they decide for whatever reason in their own sweet time that they are tired of that and want something better.

Until then, I fully understand that positive thinking is all bullshit.


"Minds Are Like Flowers, They Only Open When The Time Is Right." -- Stephen Richards

Spread Some Joy Today--by accepting yourself as yourself and by learning more about who you are, what you are, and how you serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment