Thursday, January 21, 2016

Daily Inspiration 1-21-16

"We've been taught 
that anything pleasurable is suspect. . . 
The thought of simply enjoying ourselves, 
savoring sensual experiences, 
makes us look over our shoulders 
for the pleasure police." 

-- Christiane Northrup, M.D. 



Since the beginning of these Daily Inspirations, I've shared so many of the books I was reading and some of the insights I've gleaned from them, many of which have enhanced my philosophy or my physical life. Many have thanked me for that and read some of them as well. So, today, I want to share another: Goddesses Never Age - The Secret Prescription for Radiance, Vitality, and Well-Being by Christiane Northrup, M.D. Yes, I'm a guy and this book is aimed at women, but I see it more as it is addressed to a human being of which I qualify completely.

I'm listening to the audiobook version and I also have the hardcover copy. Christiane narrates the unabridged audio herself, and I love that because you can so clearly hear the inflections and subtle pauses and emphasis that only the author could supply so perfectly.

It is a wonderful book and I am very much enjoying it. I have to say, that in my opinion, if you bought the book only to read chapter two, Goddesses Know the Power of Pleasure, it would be worth the cost and effort. I delighted in this chapter because in our society we follow so much the dictates of others in our schedules, methods, dress, and outlook. We fit in. We compartmentalize our activities by saving them for the weekend, vacation, and more. This chapter opens a floodgate of ideas of how to add pleasure, not only to every single day but many times throughout our busy days. It also makes a case for the health benefits--mental and physical--of putting more of our focus on pleasure.

Christiane says, "My prescription for general health is to experience more pleasure every day. . . big ones as well as small ones. . . opening the door on a particularly clear morning and smelling the air. Relishing the first moment when you step into a warm bath. Acknowledging that you've hit a new level of fitness and feel completely in tune with your body. How can you have these experiences more often? How can you make boring, everyday activities you do mindlessly into succulent pleasures?"

The predominant theme of this book is about aging--more specifically, aging with vitality, and yet I think it is good for any age because so much of it applies universally to living well and well-being. She says, "Agelessness is all about vitality, the creative force that gives birth to new life."

Regardless of your age or gender, I think there is much in this book that will be of benefit. But, even if you simply take this idea of finding more pleasure in your everyday experiences, including while being at work, I'm sure that will add much to your life and your spirit.


Life Is Meant To Be Injoyed By Being In Joy! 

Spread Some Joy Today--by allowing yourself many delightful little pleasures without guilt or concern of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment