Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Daily Inspiration 4-29-15

"I don't need a vacation. 
I'm always on vacation now." 

-- Terry Minion 




Most of the time now, when I actually get dressed, I wear a Tommy Bahama shirt, shorts, and tennis shoes. That's my uniform now. If I dress up, I will put on some slacks and wear a different flavor Tommy Bahama shirt, or I might try to be business-like and wear a logo shirt of my company of which I own many.

At the bank today, as I walked in, the girl teller said, "you look like you're on vacation!" I said, "I am." I said, "You know it is a really cool thing to just decide to be on vacation in my mind anytime I choose. I don't have to go anywhere." Tommy Bahama shirts aren't cheap but compared to going on vacation to the islands, it's a stupid bargain.

And I heard another person say that about how I was appearing to them. But, you know, as I thought about that a bit more, it seemed a bit profound to just go on vacation in your head regardless of where you are or what you're doing. Dressing the part is cool, but, the dress isn't required. Nor are the Mai-Tai's with the little umbrellas in them. In fact, there aren't any physical things required. It's simply a mindset and a decision to focus on feeling that way.

Think about how you feel when you're on vacation in the first few days. You're probably relaxing, letting go of the cares and concerns about work, or about the home front, or any of the other cares we drag around with us. You're focused on enjoying yourself (at least I sure hope you are!) and you're choosing to think good thoughts because you are surrounded by interesting things and maybe even some new experiences.

You can do that in your mind, and enjoy it equally.

Pretend you're on Maui, Hawaii on a beautiful beach north of Lahaina where the water is lapping gently on the almost white sand shore. You're sitting in a low beach chair. The waiter just brought you your favorite drink with the pineapple chunk and obligatory umbrella. It's a plastic glass. After all, we're on the beach, no glass allowed. There's a big umbrella over you giving you some shade, and some sun, and a little table you put your drink down on. You have your best swimsuit on and you're in perfect shape. Your sunglasses help you be mysterious and sexy and cool. You put your hands down on the warm sand. You grab a handful of sand in each hand. If feels so good as you squeeze it and it filters out between your fingers. There is the faint but sure sound of a band playing in the near distance and you just happen to love the steel drum music along with the Hawaiian guitar sounds, and the faint rhythm of the drums. (I'm listening to Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar music as I write this) You are smelling the light sea breeze and thinking of what delectable joy awaits you for that special dinner you and your companion are going to delight in later, let alone what else may be in store. You're thinking how rejuvenated you are feeling already. You wish it could last forever, with no cares about anything. Not money. Not work. Not family drama. Not anything. You're on vacation right now. All of that other stuff will just have to wait. It simply isn't important right now.


Well. . . There You Go! You're On Vacation! You Can Multi-task, Right? Do it. Be On Vacation, And Do What You Normally Do, But With A New Attitude. And A New Style! 

Spread Some Joy Today--by choosing your own thoughts. You want to feel good, right? Choose GOOD feeling thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment