Friday, March 20, 2015

Daily Inspiration 3-20-15

"Whose permission do you need?" 

-- Alan Cohen 



I love this quote by Alan Cohen. Indeed. Whose permission do I need?

The vast majority of the time in my life and careers, I have not asked permission. I just did it. Once I knew the basic guidelines, I would go off and do, and then often rewrite the guidelines along the way.

As I look back at all the things I did, that had I asked permission, may not have happened at all, such as:
  • I never would have become a sales manager. 
  • I never would have opened a successful music store. 
  • I never would have created two massively successful commercial truck operations at two dealerships. 
  • I never would have stocked colored trucks, which became approximately 40% of my entire upfitted truck inventory including every color the factory offered plus a couple SEO colors. 
  • I never would have stocked a lot of options, different kinds of truck bodies, created our own flatbed model, and much more. 
  • I wouldn't have been number one in the Pacific Coast Region, or in the top 50 nationwide. 
  • I never would have gone to work for a truck body company and stayed for ten plus years loving the work and more than this, the freedom I had never known. 
  • I never would have started my own business in the middle of a recession that employs now eight people and has grown every year since 2008. 
  • I never would have written the book, Commercial Truck Success that is helping others across the country since 2012. 
  • I never would have become a songwriter and have written a couple hundred songs. 
  • I never would have opened a recording studio, or recorded an album in one. 
  • I never would have been an eBay seller now since 2004. 
I never would have. . . .done so many things in my life that have made me what and who I am today. I would say that at least 75% of the things I have done, I did not ask permission for. There were a few times that I was questioned about why I made certain choices, and I always had a good answer to that question. I wasn't afraid to make the decision or to face any potential consequences. And, the interesting thing about that is that there was so little in the form of consequences that mattered, that it isn't worth discussing.

My boundaries were continually expanding. With respect, of course. I didn't act out or make decisions that I knew might harm. I was aggressive, yet considerate, bold yet focused on the betterment of the company I worked for. If I had it to do again, I would make the same decisions. As a result of my lack of permission, I have made most of those I worked for many millions.


How About You? Are You Asking Permission? Or Are You Making It Happen! 

Spread Some Joy Today--You have my permission. Nah. . . you don't need permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment