Monday, March 16, 2015

Daily Inspiration 3-16-15

"Thinking is 
 the hardest work there is, 
which is probably the reason 
so few engage in it." 

-- Henry Ford 


Well, I'm sure that Henry was a little full of himself when he said that about thinking. What he probably meant to say was that focus is the hardest work there is, not thinking. Thinking cannot be helped. It is something we do without even paying attention. Of course, maybe he meant that so many are just not paying attention. At any rate, thinking is not hard work. It isn't even work in any way. We all do it all day long.

Matter of fact, our thoughts often wander the hallways of the planet while we may be in the other room. If we were to even pay attention to every thought we had, we would have no time to do anything else.

After reading Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now, I've started paying attention to whether or not I am in the present. I just sort of play with it because I don't want to make it any kind of work or even a need. So, I simply try to pay attention to what I am thinking and feeling.

Today, I took Charlie out for a walk. It was about a mile and during that time, I had plenty of thoughts. As I would notice a thought, I would gently try to bring myself back to the present by noticing something around me--cars, trees, leaves moving, a breeze washing over my body, and such. Back and forth I went between presence and being in the head as Eckart Tolle calls it.

In order to be in the present, I need to realize that I am there or not there. If I am there, I enjoy it. If I am not there, I want to spend more time in the present, and this is a desire, so I gently guide myself away from being in my head to the being in the present moment. I have plenty of time after the walk to think about tasks, issues, ideas, and all manner of thinking. The present is now and my true enjoyment is also now, so that is where I want to be.

I have noticed that when I am focused on nature, I feel good. In fact, I would have to say I feel joyful. As I am even feeling nature with my eyes closed, I feel the same way. Other noises going on like children playing outside, a weed whacker at work, and even the ice cream truck won't take anything away at all.



This focus is simply a choice. Everyone chooses their focus. Everyone chooses their thoughts. What it really comes down to in the end is what is your desire at this time in your life. Henry Ford was absolutely passionate about what he did and what he wanted to do. He saw things done before they were even conceived. To him, that was thinking.

Yet, we are all passionate about something, or even many things. When we are that way, time does not even exist, and we are drawn to what we want to do. Henry probably saw a lot of people around him who didn't have the same passion that he did. Their passions were somewhere else. That is perfect. Whatever draws you to focus on it with passion puts you immediately in the present. You're not distracted. You're focused. You're passionate. You're alive. You're thriving.

And, all of this comes back to your desires--the things, ideas, and situations that draw you to them, encouraging and allowing your focused attention, and your passion.

Whatever those things are in your life, you owe it to yourself and everyone you care about to love that until you don't anymore. Those things draw life to you, and make you more and engage your passion and you thrive. With this, you become more to those you care about. 


Thinking Isn't Hard Work. It's The Easiest And Most Common Thing In The World. 

Spread Some Joy Today--by allowing your passion to focus. That is power and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment