Saturday, December 20, 2014

Daily Inspiration 12-20-14

"One of the milestones every entrepreneur passes 
is when she stops thinking of people she hires 
as expensive ("I could do that job for free") 
 and starts thinking of them as cheap 
("This frees me up to do something more profitable.")." 

-- Seth Godin 


Seth continues from his blog post by saying, "When you get rid of every job you do that could be done by someone else, something needs to fill your time. And what you discover is that you're imagining growth, building partnerships, rethinking the enterprise (working on your business instead of in it, as the e-myth guys would say). Right now, you don't even see those jobs, because you're busy doing things that feel efficient instead."

I understand this point of view and it is exactly the point of view I had when starting my business and where it is now. I'll never forget when we hired the first person and how nervous we were about that, and that it turned out to not only be good but was absolute perfection. It was Jean and she is our head web designer and has been with us since 2008. What a blessing to us. I'm constantly thanking you, Jean. Constantly loving you too. You have helped take us far beyond what we thought was possible.

Several years ago, the delegating began in a similar way, which allowed me to focus in other areas, and now there are eight people. It's amazing what you can think of when you have the luxury of not trying to be efficient all the time.

This is not only true of entrepreneurs, but it is also true of any manager. And, Seth's statement is pretty much the way I looked at myself as a manager, which I did for others most of my life. It's so easy to get caught up in the busy aspect, or the important aspect of the position and forget about what the real goal of a manager is and that is to get work done through others.

If I were hiring a manager, I would look for that quality of creativity and entrepreneurship. I would look for the same thing in the entrepreneur. Come to think of it, this is not a bad thing to find in an employee. Initiative and creative use of time is a grand combination. That is in the best entrepreneurs, managers, and employees.


The Bigger Picture Is Always The Best Strategy. 

Spread Some Joy Today--by enhancing your ability to receive. "You enhance your ability to give by enhancing your ability to receive." -- Alan Cohen

No comments:

Post a Comment