Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Daily Inspiration 5-21-13

"If we are to find
some kind of peace and solace
we are going to have to hearken
to the voice of an inner guide
rather than the dictate of the masses.
More peace is yours for the taking. . .and giving."
 
-- Alan Cohen


We pray, Lord, give me peace, give me patience. We see the lack of it and want it and not finding it nearby, we pray to God or seek from some other outside source. In my experience, it is in none of these places, nor controlled anywhere outside of yourself.

The truth that I have found is that it comes from within only and there are only two simple requirements to have it flowing. First is awareness. This should be easy. You may already see that it is lacking. Become aware that peace or patience (the same thing to me) is desired or needed. Second is to practice it. Practice being patient. Practice having peace. Practice having kindness. Practice. Practice. Practice.

I'll never forget a very funny movie that I own and have enjoyed many times called, Evan Almighty. Morgan Freeman, playing the part of God, said this and I immediately took it to heart:

"Let me ask you something.
If someone prays for patience,
you think God gives them patience?
Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient?
If he prayed for courage,
does God give him courage,
or does he give him opportunities to be courageous?
If someone prayed for the family to be closer,
do you think God zaps them with warm fuzzy feelings,
or does he give them opportunities to love each other?"

In the last year or so, I've really honed in on this practicing of attributes like patience. It seems so natural to react and in reaction, we have no patience. So once I am aware of the need or desire for patience, I begin to purposely practice it. Now, granted, sometimes there are opportunities that require more effort than others, but I've always been a believer in the old phrase, practice makes perfect. I have also found this to be true. Although, I am not where I would call perfect. I do have reactions. I do blurt things I later would rather not have blurted; however, I am improving so much that I am thrilled with the whole idea of practicing patience and other virtues.

It seems that we have always either waited for them or hoped someone would give them to us, and the reality is that they were here all along waiting to be recognized and utilized. With practice, my base of patience and peace grows and grows. I can even see somewhere down the path of practice that I will no longer even think about it, but just act immediately.


I Have Plenty Of Opportunities To Practice, And I Accept The Opportunities As They Come. 

Spread Some Joy Today--Your own practice will spread plenty of joy..

No comments:

Post a Comment