Saturday, May 11, 2013

Daily Inspiration 5-11-13

"The only person you are destined to become
is the person you decide to be."
 
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson


Yesterday, I walked into a business I used to be associated with, saw someone whom I know and he knows me and instantly he said to me, "wow! It looks like you swallowed a watermelon." Some people are exceedingly honest in their response to my image and he has known me to be somewhat thinner. I laughed, and I knew, of course, that he was right.

Someone else told me today, "you're a really good man." I accepted the comment and I felt as if he was right. In this case and the case above, I made those choices. I didn't want to look like someone who swallowed a watermelon, but I made the choices of what to eat and how often. I also made the choice to be a good man, a kind person, an encourager when I can.

Early in my life I thought about my "destiny." What did God bring me here to do? Why am I here? These were questions that I wanted answers for, but I ignored my choices and the results of the choices as my destiny. I thought maybe it was something I was supposed to find.

I guess you could say I found it, though it was too obvious: I get to choose, and to choose I cannot avoid. The next thing was to become comfortable with my choices.

Alan Cohen, a favorite author says it differently, and yet so appropriately:


Your Whole Life Changes When You Realize You Are Enough.

Spread Some Joy Today--Accept your choices as if they were on purpose. In reality, they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment