Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Daily Inspiration 11-30-11

"I still get wildly enthusiastic about little things. . .
I play with leaves.
I skip down the street and run against the wind."

-- Leo Buscaglia





I love this time of year. It's just a bit chilly, highs in the low 60's, lows around 40, a touch of fog in the morning, sun in the afternoon. Leaves are taking their sweet time turning colors other than green, then falling gently to the ground, and right about now they are coming down in the thousands as you can see by the sidewalk in the photo.

I took Charlie the little black dog out for a walk and he's not nearly as fond of this time of year as me. I had to take a photo of some of the huge leaves that are as big as he is, and he is afraid of them when the wind moves them around, especially when the wind moves them toward him. If it is calm, he's brave enough though, yet he would rather walk around them than over them whenever that option is available.

I read a Leo Buscaglia book way back in the 1970's about him having a class over at his house and his neighbor coming over to complain about the leaves on his lawn. So the lover that he is, invited guests to help rake the leaves into bags and he brought them into the house and spread them all over the living room floor. Everyone was happy then.

I've always remembered that story, although I cannot remember which book, nor can I find it. So, out and about a day or two ago, I took some shots on my camera phone of some of these leaves all over the walkway. I wanted to sweep them up and put them all over the living room floor at my house. Of course, that would never work unless I lived alone.

Yet, I love leaves. I love seeing them all over the patio and driveway and have no interest in blowing them away or raking them up. In fact, I am done with the lawn mowing and now all the leaves that are there will remain until spring. It's winter food for the nightcrawlers and I love watching them gather them into piles and feast on them while I sleep.

Other people prefer clean walkways, clean patios and all that. I'm happy for them that they like those things, but I just don't share that feeling. The leaves add character, color and a comfortable, relaxing view, even enhancing the concrete as far as I'm concerned.

So, I thank Leo every year about now for sharing that wonderful and enduring story. Thanks Leo! I love you!



We All Love Things In Our Own Special Way


Spread Some Joy Today--How ya doing on your love list? Remember? Write, 'I love. . .' at the top of the page and then write as many things as you can, then add a few each day or each week. It's fun and expands your joy rather easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment