Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Daily Inspiration 11-22-11

"Clarity is magnified when you
change the word should to want."

-- Mike Dooley


Since the mid-1970's when I studied Transactional Analysis (I'm okay, you're okay, parent, adult, child), I've played with completely deleting the word should from my vocabulary. I learned then that this word is a parental word and I've also heard it enough times in my life from every angle. I haven't completely succeeded, but the best thing to me about becoming aware is that once there, it is so much easier to deal with and get back on track quickly.

You should do this, you should do that, you need to do this, you need to do that. . . these are phrases that just make me want to rebel! Especially when it is someone else. Yet, sometimes I find my self saying it to my self, if you know what I mean. Yuck! That feels just as bad, maybe even worse.

The easiest way to change that feeling is to change the word should to want. Now it even sounds silly coming from someone else. . . you want to do this, you want to do that, but it is much cooler when I'm talking to my self: I want to do this, I want to do that. Much better, don't you think?

Next time someone says you should do something, be something, think something, buy something, say to your self, 'No, I don't! If I want to I will and if I don't I won't!' There ya go! Take charge. You are, after all, in charge of you and no one else can do that job as well.



I Think I Will, Because I Want To.


Spread Some Joy Today--by thinking loving thoughts and externalizing that in a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment