Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Daily Inspiration 11-2-11

"The first step toward getting somewhere is to decide
that you are not going to stay where you are."

-- John J. B. Morgan and Ewing T Webb


I absolutely love this quote above because as soon as I read it for the first time, I said to myself, 'of course!' Yet, at the same time, I also understood what held me back whenever I wanted to do something but it wasn't working or it didn't get started, or it didn't get completed. It was because I was trying to stay in Sacramento and be in Phoenix at the same time. In that, it seems obvious that I have to let go of Sacramento if I want to be in Phoenix.

Many times we sabotage ourselves by our own thinking as we try to make a change. This is how the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. The poor want more but all they can think about what what they do not have, and so they get more of that. We get into a mindset about our lot in life, our station, our circumstances, our heritage, our environment, our government, and generally speaking, external things of which we have little or no control. It's no wonder we're stuck. If we can't control it, all we can do is wait and hope that some miracle will come along and save us.

The first thing I have to do is to change my thinking, concentrate on what I want as if I already have it and accept with gratitude and contentment where I am in the meantime. Both of those are key ingredients. The first is focus on what I want instead of what I don't want. The second is letting go of where I am by being okay with it rather than unhappy, disappointed, making excuses and otherwise continuing to own it.

One of the biggest problems with the present situation when we are looking at all that is wrong with it and what we don't like and so on, is that even assuming that we could make the change from that place, we take ourselves with us where ever we go. When we take ourselves, we bring our attitudes with us. It is in the change of the attitude that we can become okay with Sacramento and allow ourselves to land in Phoenix unencumbered.



Yo! Phoenix! I'll Be There Shortly. . . Just Getting An Attitude Adjustment . . .


Spread Some Joy Today--Find things to appreciate about where ever you happen to be at any time. Becoming an intentional appreciator is a joyful place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment