Thursday, September 1, 2011

Daily Inspiration 9-1-11

Growth Week


"Only in growth, reform and change,
paradoxically enough,
is true security to be found."
-- Anne Morrow Lindbergh


"Growth means change and change involves risk,
stepping from the known to the unknown."

-- George Shinn


It's interesting that a lot of people think about security and that idea of security is risking little and a lot of status quo by controlling events or preparing for their eventuality to elevate risk. This is not a formula for growth.

Anne Morrow Lindbergh even goes so far as to say that in growth, reform and change is the only really true security. For a long time, I didn't get this quote and now I think I understand it much better.

Security is a state of mind. The only way that security means much is in being able to respond as necessary to the demands of life. It's a reality that in this world, nothing is at rest, everything is in motion. The only way to growth is through change. If things didn't change, there would be no growth. Security normally abhors change, for that makes it less secure; however, when we know that everything is in motion, and we can learn to go with it rather than against it, through that growth, we become more secure in a changing world.

Another way to put it is that if I were to lose my job and then find another, I will have grown through that change. It is inevitable. This then, causes me to actually be more secure, and more confident that I can flow with the changes and deal with them effectively.

Consequently, it seems that insecurity causes security. . . or rather change gives us the opportunity of more security through growth.



As I Grow, I Become More Secure.


Spread Some Joy Today--Look on change with open arms. It cannot be stopped and by simply accepting it--even embracing it--can lead to such joy and expansion.

No comments:

Post a Comment