Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Daily Inspiration 3-9-11

"Mishaps are like knives that either
serve us or cut us as we grasp
them by the blade or handle."

-- James Russell Lowell


"The components of anxiety, stress, fear,
and anger do not exist independently of
you in the world. They simply to not exist
in the physical world, even though we
talk about them as if they do."

-- Wayne Dyer


The other day, I walked out by the pool and it struck me suddenly that my eyes do not see. My eyes only receive. They are not active in seeing as a task, but are receivers. As I thought about that sudden thought, I realized it was true because at night, when I cannot see very well, I would be able to see if my eyes actually saw. Light wouldn't really have any effect. As it is, my eyes reflect the light available and the mind then interprets that data to create vision. What ever we see, we interpret and make judgements in our mind, which is ultimately what we see. I realize that I'm tickling this idea, but I do have a point.

Then, a couple days ago, someone told me how they have so many things that are causing stress in their life. I didn't swim upstream with the person, for that would be pointless, but I thought about that concept and it made me think about seeing again.

We take data into our minds via the physical senses, and then we interpret that data by comparing it with what is in the memory, and making judgements, which causes our view or individual interpretation of what we are experiencing. Some might interpret that as stress, or pressure being applied without our desire or permission. As long as this is the case, that person will always be blaming external circumstances, events and other people on what they think, when the ultimate reality is that this is not actually possible. It is really a choice, regardless of how poorly it serves the chooser.

The one thing that separates us from everything else is our ability to choose our thoughts, or to interpret our thoughts based on an experience. The only question worth asking at this stage is our thoughts serving us or cutting us? We get to choose the handle or the blade.



Stress Is A Personal Affliction.


Spread Some Joy Today--Let go and let joy. Wow! That was easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment