Friday, March 4, 2011

Daily Inspiration 3-4-11

"You can search throughout the entire universe for someone
who is more deserving of your love and affection than you
are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere.
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire
universe deserve your love and affection."

-- Buddha



You are probably not like me, but the way I've talked to myself most of my life, you would think that I was a nothing and a nobody--a loser. Not outwardly so much, for I've learned to put on the show pretty well, but inwardly, I have carried on a battle of questioning my own authority to make decisions, so much of the time thinking that what others said or thought about me was more important than what I thought and so on. I've certainly wanted to be friends with myself, and I do have to say that progress has been significant, especially in recent years.

It is so much more than just being friends with myself, or respecting my own authority, it is the loving and affection for myself that I strive for now because I know how that makes all the difference in how I affect others and my capacity to love others.

Here's the key to this in my mind: It is developing, or rather practicing, the art of unconditional love, meaning that I love without any need of a reason to do so, or the slightest desire to have anything in return. Of course, this is not very normal. We always seem to have some kind of agenda if we think about it clearly. And, who better to practice on that the one I spend the most time with: me.

I'm not there. It isn't a success. . . yet. However, it is a now conscious endeavor now and I am paying attention and reversing much of that old self-talk to something more generous and even kind. It is working and it will be a work in progress from here out. It doesn't matter that it took me this long. It only matters that I learned it and made a decision.



Who Knew? It Would Be Nice To Teach This Stuff Early. . .


Spread Some Joy Today--start with yourself. Give yourself some joy! You deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment